Tuesday, June 9, 2009

How To Discipline Your Kids

How do we discipline our kids properly? Well, I have a thought for you. And it's a bit radical but here goes. When we are communicating well with our kids, there is not nearly as much discipline needed. My suggestion is that when we get our quality time sorted out with our kids, the discipline won't be nearly as necessary.

Do you spend quality time talking to each of your kids a few times a week? Or does life get away on you and do you spend more time coming down on them for the things that they do wrong? I know how hard it can be; I have been there. So I am not pointing the finger. I have four children and have learned by trial and error. I guess the issue is "do we learn from our mistakes?"

I have noticed that the times I spend more time chatting to my kids and doing stuff with them are the times that I tend to have much fewer behavioral problems. Yes, I mean it! Test it out and see. Now, when I know in advance that I have a very busy week coming up, I tell the children so that they are aware that I will be extra busy. Then I mark a day and time on my calendar (amongst my busy work schedule) so that they know, even if mummy is busy she has made time for them.

Now I'm not saying that is the only time you spend with them that particular week. But I am saying time with my children is that important that I should be creating time for them each week. Sometimes it will just be a walk in the park together, sometimes going for ice cream. The fact is you have made that time in advance and the child knows that you think they are important.

Many behavioral issues stem from the child not feeling that they receive adequate attention from the parent. So if we deal with this problem first, then we can see what is left over after that. I guarantee there will be much less to deal with if we get this right. Try it and see.

What do we talk about though? When we do talk to them, it is not even necessary to talk about important things. Your job is to make sure that the communication gateway remains open so that they can come to you when they need assistance with something. So let's practice forgetting the bad things today, and instead start to concentrate on connecting with your children in conversation and see what happens. You might find that you don't have much left to discipline in your child.

by Kim Patrck

No comments:

Post a Comment