Wednesday, June 3, 2009

How to teach your child good manners (Ages 7 to 9 : KINDNESS MATTERS)

These kids are a little savvier about social interactions and are picking up more on other people's feelings -- all good guest skills. However, they still need concrete reminders:

"Try your hardest not to make gross noises."
Kids love to burp the alphabet, fart on command, and, oh, so much more. However, what's funny at recess isn't always cool at a friend's home. Remind your child to tone it down: "It's rude to belch at the table, but if you do, say 'Excuse me.' "

"Don't be a snack hound."
Take it from me: Feeding kids with bottomless stomachs (like my youngest daughter) right before parties and playdates is futile. They still beg constantly for food. Most host moms are willing to give one snack, but pint-size guests who want to munch continuously can be annoying.

Bridget Melson, a mom and family therapist in Pleasanton, CA, tells her kids that they shouldn't take more than they're offered. "Then I say, 'If you follow the rule, I'll give you a surprise,' " she says. This assumes your child will fess up -- but it never hurts to offer reminders in a positive way.

"If you can't think of anything to do, keep thinking."
Most host parents don't expect to be entertainment directors, and your child's friend may not want to choose every activity. Leonard has a great way to develop her kids' "creative thinking skills": If they utter the dreaded phrase "I'm bored!" they get a chore -- from dusting the baseboards to reorganizing a toy shelf. "Now when they're at a friend's house and their host says, 'I'm bored, there's nothing to do,' I can guarantee my girls will think of something!" she says.

"Be ready to go when I come to pick you up."
It's probably happened to you: The other parent finally arrives for pickup, and the guest kid hides his shoes or runs upstairs. "I especially hate it when the other parent looks at me as if to say 'Can't they just play a little longer?' " says Chris Shaw, a mom of two boys in Wilmington, NC. Don't put other parents in this awkward situation: Consider rewarding your child with some video-game or TV time at home when he leaves a friend's house quickly, or take away a privilege when he opts for that last-minute game of hide-and-seek.

ByTeri Cettina

No comments:

Post a Comment